Northern Rift Inc Terms of Service
By using the NorthernRift.com web site ("Service"), or any services of Northern Rift Inc
("Northern Rift"), you are agreeing to be bound by the following terms and conditions
("Terms of Service"). IF YOU ARE ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF A
COMPANY OR OTHER LEGAL ENTITY, YOU REPRESENT THAT YOU HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO
BIND SUCH ENTITY, ITS AFFILIATES AND ALL USERS WHO ACCESS OUR SERVICES THROUGH
YOUR ACCOUNT TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, IN WHICH CASE THE TERMS "YOU"
OR "YOUR" SHALL REFER TO SUCH ENTITY, ITS AFFILIATES AND USERS ASSOCIATED WITH IT.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SUCH AUTHORITY, OR IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THESE TERMS AND
CONDITIONS, YOU MUST NOT ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT AND MAY NOT USE THE SERVICES.
If Northern Rift makes material changes to these Terms, we will notify you by email or by
posting a notice on our site when the changes become effective. Any new features that
augment or enhance the current Service, including the release of new tools and resources,
shall be subject to the Terms of Service. Continued use of the Service after any such changes
shall constitute your consent to such changes.
Violation of any of the terms below will result in the termination of your Account. While
Northern Rift prohibits such conduct and Content on the Service, you understand and agree
that Northern Rift cannot be responsible for the Content posted on the Service and you
nonetheless may be exposed to such materials. You agree to use the Service at your own
- You must be 13 years or older to use this Service.
- You must be a human. Accounts registered by "bots" or other automated methods
are not permitted.
- You must provide a valid email address, and any other information requested by
Northern Rift in order to complete the registration process. In certain instances
Northern Rift may have to create and allocate account names or alias to you to
ensure individual user identity, to avoid multiple ?user names?.
- Your login may only be used by one person - a single login shared by multiple people
is not permitted.
- You are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and password.
Northern Rift cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage from your failure
to comply with this security obligation.
- You are responsible for all Content posted and activity that occurs under your
account (even when Content is posted by others who may have posted on behalf of
- You may not use the Service for any illegal or unauthorized purpose. You must not,
in the use of the Service, violate any laws in your jurisdiction (including but not
limited to copyright or trademark laws).
Cancellation and Termination
- Northern Rift, in its sole discretion, has the right to suspend or terminate your
account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Service, or any other
Northern Rift service, for any reason at any time. Such termination of the Service
will result in the deactivation or deletion of your Account or your access to your
Account, and the forfeiture and relinquishment of all Content in your Account.
Northern Rift reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any
Modifications to the Service
- Northern Rift reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or
discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof) with or
- Northern Rift shall not be liable to you or to any third-party for any modification,
change, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
Copyright and Content Ownership
- We claim no intellectual property rights over the material you provide to the
Service. Your profile and materials uploaded remain yours. However, by setting
your pages to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view your Content.
By setting your postings (ideas, content, ideas, images and thoughts) to be viewed
publicly, you agree to allow others to view your work, post contributions to it, vote
on it and share it with others. You also acknowledge and accept all risk that people
use & manipulate it for their own use with no attribution, or rights assigned to you
- You understand and acknowledge that Northern Rift does not provide, nor claim
to provide, any form of Intellectual Property protection, assignment of rights to
content uploaded, shared or collaborated upon.
- Northern Rift does not pre-screen Content, but Northern Rift and its designee have
the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse or remove any
Content that is available via the Service.
- You shall defend Northern Rift against any claim, demand, suit or proceeding made
or brought against Northern Rift by a third-party alleging that Your Content, or
Your use of the Service in violation of this Agreement, infringes or misappropriates
the intellectual property rights of a third-party or violates applicable law, and shall
indemnify Northern Rift for any damages finally awarded against, and for reasonable
attorney?s fees incurred by, Northern Rift in connection with any such claim,
demand, suit or proceeding; provided, that Northern Rift (a) promptly gives You
written notice of the claim, demand, suit or proceeding; (b) gives You sole control
of the defense and settlement of the claim, demand, suit or proceeding (provided
that You may not settle any claim, demand, suit or proceeding unless the settlement
unconditionally releases Northern Rift of all liability); and (c) provides to You all
reasonable assistance, at Your expense.
- The look and feel of the Service is copyright ?2014 Northern Rift Inc. All rights
reserved. You may not duplicate, copy, or reuse any portion of the HTML/CSS,
from Northern Rift.
- Your use of the Service is at your sole risk. The service is provided on an "as is"
and "as available" basis.
- Support for Northern Rift services is only available in English, via email.
- You understand that Northern Rift uses third-party vendors and hosting partners
to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, and related
technology required to run the Service.
- You must not modify, adapt or hack the Service or modify another website so as
to falsely imply that it is associated with the Service, Northern Rift, or any other
Northern Rift service.
- You may use the Northern Rift service solely as permitted and intended to host,
share and collaborate upon you or your organizations content, ideas, pages,
personal pages, and for no other purpose. You may not use Northern Rift Pages in
violation of Northern Rift's trademark or other rights or in violation of applicable
- You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit any portion of
the Service, use of the Service, or access to the Service without the express written
permission by Northern Rift.
- We may, but have no obligation to, remove Content and Accounts containing
Content that we determine in our sole discretion are unlawful, offensive,
threatening, libelous, defamatory, pornographic, obscene or otherwise
objectionable or violates any party's intellectual property or these Terms of Service.
- Verbal, physical, written or other abuse (including threats of abuse or retribution) of
any Northern Rift user, client, employee, member, or officer will result in immediate
account termination and where necessary, further action may be pursued to the
extent of the law.
- You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the Service,
including your content, may be transferred unencrypted and involve (a)
transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to
technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
- You must not upload, post, host, or transmit unsolicited email, SMS, or "spam"
- You must not transmit any worms or viruses or any code of a destructive nature.
- If your bandwidth usage significantly exceeds the average bandwidth usage (as
determined solely by Northern Rift) of other Northern Rift customers, we reserve
the right to immediately disable your account or throttle your file hosting until you
can reduce your bandwidth consumption.
- Northern Rift does not warrant that (i) the service will meet your specific
requirements, (ii) the service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free,
(iii) the results that may be obtained from the use of the service will be accurate
or reliable, (iv) the quality of any products, services, information, or other material
purchased or obtained by you through the service will meet your expectations, and
(v) any errors in the Service will be corrected.
- You expressly understand and agree that Northern Rift shall not be liable for
any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages,
including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other
intangible losses (even if Northern Rift has been advised of the possibility of such
damages), resulting from: (i) the use or the inability to use the service; (ii) the cost
of procurement of substitute goods and services resulting from any goods, data,
information or services purchased or obtained or messages received or transactions
entered into through or from the service; (iii) unauthorized access to or alteration
of your transmissions or data; (iv) statements or conduct of any third-party on the
service; (v) or any other matter relating to the service.
- The failure of Northern Rift to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the
Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. The Terms
of Service constitutes the entire agreement between you and Northern Rift and
govern your use of the Service, superseding any prior agreements between you
and Northern Rift (including, but not limited to, any prior versions of the Terms
of Service). You agree that these Terms of Service and your use of the Service are
governed under Delaware, USA law.
We collect the e-mail addresses of those who communicate with us via e-mail, aggregate
information on what pages and content users access or visit, meta-data & analytics on
content, system use and information volunteered by the user (such as survey information
and/or site registrations). The information we collect and aggregate is used to improve the
content of our web pages, develop new features & services, improve the quality of our
service for our users and clients. When we have your permission, or when required, we may
share your informantion under the following circumstances:
- It is necessary to share information in order to investigate, prevent, or take action
regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats
to the physical safety of any person, violations of Terms of Service, or as otherwise
required by law.
- We transfer information about you if NorthernRift is acquired by or merged with
another company. In this event, NorthernRift will notify you before information
Information Gathering and Usage
- When you register for NorthernRift we ask for information such as your name, email
address, and from time to time, we may ask for additional profile information.
- NorthernRift uses collected information for the following general purposes:
products and services provision, identification and authentication, services
improvement, contact, and research.
- A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous unique
identifier, that is sent to your browser from a web site's computers and stored on
your computer's hard drive.
- Cookies are required to use the NorthernRift service.
cookies. You are required to re-login to your NorthernRift account after a certain
period of time has elapsed to protect you against others accidentally accessing your
NorthernRift uses third-party vendors and hosting partners to provide the necessary
hardware, software, networking, storage, and related technology required to run
NorthernRift. Although NorthernRift owns the code, databases, and all rights to the
NorthernRift application, you retain all rights to your data.
NorthernRift may disclose personally identifiable information under special circumstances,
such as to comply with subpoenas or when your actions violate the Terms of Service.
NorthernRift may periodically update this policy. We will notify you about significant
changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email
address specified in your NorthernRift primary account holder account or by placing a
prominent notice on our site. Typically this will require you to ?accept? the new Terms and
Conditions before proceeding to regain access to the service.
Education Terms / Educational Use (addendum)
- The School Education components of the site are intended for use by individuals age 11 or older.
- Your personal profile and personal materials uploaded remain yours. You retain all rights to your data.
- Where we Northern Rift has agreements with the school districts, and where school districts explicitly provide pupil records to Northern Rift, these data elements remain the property of and control of the respective school district.
- Some personally identifiable information (PII), such as emails and school access code (that connects the student and a specific school and or teacher) volunteered by the user, is collected to allow use of the site to improve the content of our web pages, develop new features & services, and improve the quality of our service for our users and clients.
- If third-party party software or service providers are occasionally used in optimizing and improving the Northern Rift service, such parties are bound by Northern Rift privacy agreements, and when this is not possible, only aggregated or anonymized information is passed onto the third-party party.
- Parents may review PII and correct information by logging into their child(ren)’s account or by contacting Northern Rift customer service.
- In the event of a data breach involving educational use, Northern Rift will notify participating local educational agencies (LEAs) or relevant authorities accordance with state law (in California -AB 1584).